Saturday, October 2, 2010

1 on 1 with Big Sean.

The folks over at Nicekicks.com got a chance to interview Big Sean and I'm here to bring it to you.
Big Sean’s debut album is scheduled to release later this year; however, the Detroit native is currently on a nationwide tour promoting his recently-released, highly-acclaimed Finally Famous 3 mixtape. We recently caught up with the 2010 XXL freshman class member/sneaker enthusiast following his sold out show in Austin, Tx (after which he stayed and talked to fans for over 45 minutes).
We discussed a slew of topics regarding his mixtape and other music/sneakers inspirations. View the interview below to read about who he wants to work with in the near future, the perfect setup for his “Ray Allen” Air Jordan 8s and who he thinks is the freshest member in GOOD Music.
First and foremost, explain what “Finally Famous” is all about for people who don’t know.
Famous is a goal. It’s what people strive for-to be heard. I put Finally in front of it because I didn’t want people to think things happen over night. It’s been a long time coming. It goes for everybody regardless of what your dream is. If you’re doing something good, and you’re being recognized for it, you’re finally famous.
You just dropped Finally Famous 3, and you’re album is right around the corner. Can we expect some big features?
Yeah, I’ve got some features; Kanye, No ID, Pharrell. I have a joint with Mike Posner coming out soon. At the same time, I had so many features on Finally Famous 3 that I wanted my album to be more about me and my life.
If you could work with anybody, who would it be?
I’d say Eminem because we’re from the same town. I mean, I’ve been listening to him for so long and he’s just so big for Detroit. With me coming from the westside of Detroit, he was always somebody I looked up to.
He influenced you a lot, but at the same time, you have such different styles. What do you take from him?
He’s more aggressive, but we both put ourselves out there. We both show a lot of emotion in our music and really put who we are in to it. You can hear a lot of him in me. Pause! No Homo! [Laughs]
Are there any non hip hop artists you’d like to work with?
I really like Adele. She’s good. I know it sounds cheesy, and I know all the rappers say Coldplay, but damn, I really want to work with Coldplay.
The GOOD Music group has so many style icons, and we hear everybody in it has some serious sneaker collections. You ever feel pressured to keep up?
Hell nah! [laughs] We really don’t compete. We’re trendsetters over here; from the music to the way we dress. I know you see the scarf in this pocket tee! Nobody has done that!
Who is the freshest dude in GOOD Music?
Man, I’m the freshest of them all! You can ask Mr. West! I mean, who else you see wearing this? [Points back to the scarf in his pocket] I started that. It’s business and it’s casual. It’s like a mullet.
Well, Kanye is on his Rosewood movement right now and currently rocking suits. Are we ever gonna see him in sneakers again?
Nah man, I honestly don’t think so.
Speaking of Kanye, he had the the Louis Vuitton project and of course, the Nike Air Yeezys. Is there collaboration or some special kicks in the works for you? Is there any brand you’d like to work with?
Any and every! I’m not picky. I’d mess with anybody trying to get down on some fashion s****. I’d like that. It would be a new avenue. I mean, I’m already fresh in these [Jordans], why not in my own [shoes]?
You were the XXL fashion spread awhile back and in the BAPE catalog too. Can we expect to see you working with a sneaker company soon?
I don’t know man. I hope so. I’d appreciate any business ventures that come my way. We’re gonna keep pushing it from the music side and from the fashion side, so I hope I get to work with some good brands. I actually just did another XXL fashion spread that comes out this week. [ed note: September 28th]. Make sure you check that out.
“Desire, Want and Need” was featured in a Brandon Jennings Under Armour commercial last year. What was it like hearing your song on a nationally televised commercial?
That was crazy to see my music on TV. Coming from the westside of Detroit, it was just a blessing to see my music going new places and reaching a new avenue of people that hadn’t heard me yet.
Now that you’ve really started to blow up, has your fame effected your sneaker buying habits?
Not at all; except now I can get what I want. Now I can get all the stuff I wanted as a kid.


How did you get involved with collecting?
I mean, I don’t really collect. Dudes that collect buy like serious amounts of shoes, and I just really like to cop what I see. It’s serious but to an extent.
When we talked to you about a year and a half ago, you said that you had about 30 pairs of kicks and that you didn’t like the fact that shoes were so expensive. You’ve come a long way since then. How many pairs do you own now?
Probably about 80 right now. I got some s*** though; these ‘02 or ‘03 Air Jordan 7s. I got the OG “Flints.” I just got some Ray Allen Air Jordan 8’s, but I can’t wear those.
Why not?
They’re Ray Allen 8s! I can’t just walk around in Ray Allen 8s. Maybe I’ll save them for a special occasion, like when I do a show at Tigers Stadium or something.
That’s better. So many areas are associated with a certain style of sneaker. The DMV has Foamposites. LA has Chucks. What’s the style in Detroit?
Player! You know, gators and Cartier frames. Like Biggie said, “Pink gators, my Detroit players.” I might even mess around and wear some gators, just to be an a**hole [laughs]. They’re player. I mean, why not? I set trends. Plus, I’m fly enough to rock some gators.
You’re rocking the “Raptors” Air Jordan 7s right now, but they’re not the recent retro. You like the 7 a lot?
Yeah, I do. I like the 3s, the 4s, and the 6s are definitely my favorite. The 7s are nice too, though.
Do you have a go-to pair to perform in?
These 7s. It’s just a great shoe to wear. It feels good and looks fly on stage. I have at least two pairs of these in my closet.





Big Sean in Austin from Etienne Maurice on Vimeo.